Sunday, February 6, 2011

We work better when we work together


This week was full of encouraging words, hugs, popcorn with M&Ms, midnight Shari’s runs, notes in my mailbox, late night chats, and laughter.  Would you believe me if I said it was a terrible week?  Probably not.  But in reality, this past week was one of those difficult weeks we get thrown our way every once in a while.  It was filled with stress, tears, struggles, worries, and anxiety.

Without the first list of encouraging things, I doubt I would have been able to make it through like I have. 

Life is full of those things in the second list (stress, worries, etc).  But what is it that gets us through?  I believe it’s called the Body of Christ.  I think I have gained a better understanding about the Body of Christ in the midst of this week.

As the Body of Christ, we all fulfill different roles.  In this past week, I have seen countless people in my life step up and perform their role without me having to say or ask anything of them. 

I never had to ask for encouragement, but I was flooded in it.  I never had to ask for a single hug, but I was surrounded in them.  I never had to ask for prayer, but I was lifted up in it.  I never had to ask for the box of tissues, but it was continually passed to me in the moments I needed it. 

So to all of you who have made this week the most encouraging week I have probably ever had, thank you.  What you have all done has meant the world to me.  This is what the Body of Christ is supposed to look like. 

Our physical bodies do not need to be told how to pump blood, or blink our eyes.  Taking a step is second nature and requires no thought.  In the same way, a functioning Body of Christ acts without having to “think.”  This is exactly what my friends and family have shown me.

All the parts of our physical bodies take on different roles in order for all things to function properly.  In the same way, the Body of Christ is filled with people of varying gifts to help support the Body.  This is exactly what my friends and family have shown me.

This week I have seen friends with the gift on encouragement (my mailbox has literally been stuffed with encouragement cards, chocolate, and uplifting Bible verses); I have seen friends with the gift of understanding who have offered me hugs, space, and company at just the right moments; I have seen friends with the gift of prayer who have been praying for me throughout the week and those prayers have been felt; I have seen friends with the gift of empathy who have cried right alongside of me; I have seen friends with the gift of humor who have made me laugh when I didn’t think I wanted to laugh. 

We are promised that “the LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18).  I always imagined this promise being fulfilled in an intangible way.  When life gets us down, I figured God would just provide comfort for our hearts and call it good.  But this is not the case.  God is also close to us in a tangible way during those times of life that are difficult through the working of His Body. 

“There should be no division in the body, but its parts should have equal concern for each other.  If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it” (1 Corinthians 12:25-26). 

Thank you for being concerned.  Thank you for feeling the pain with me.  Thank you for functioning without having to think.  Thank you for sharing your gift with me.  We work better when we work together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment