Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Simply come, simply groan


Today is one of those days.  I feel like writing.  I want to write some inspirational blog that makes you all think, “Wow!  I feel moved by that!”  But of course, I can’t think of a funny anecdote to relate to a Biblical truth to move you all (“you all” refers to the 10 people who read this) to tears.  I have things I want to say, things God has taught me over this summer, joy that I want to share with others, but I don’t know the words to say it all.

As I was sitting here in my blue lazy boy chair agonizing over the fact that I don’t know what to write, Romans 8:26 came to mind: “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” 

How many times have you approached God in prayer but not known what to say, or how to say it?  How many times have you felt the deepest pain or the greatest joy but not known how to ask God for help or say “thanks” for the joy given you? 

This is the beauty of the Holy Spirit.  He lives to intercede for us.  We don’t have to know the words to say.  There is already someone telling God exactly what needs to be said on our behalf.  Don’t hesitate to approach God with groans.  The Spirit is there with words to say. 

When I talk with my friends, post something on facebook, write a letter, leave a voicemail, or speak by any other means of communication, I feel the need to come up with clever, witty phrases to convey my “deep insights.”  I think I come to God feeling the same way.  “How can I say this to impress God?  How can I present this to God in the most mature way?”  God doesn’t care that you use impressive words and expansive vocabulary.  Simply come, simply groan.    

No comments:

Post a Comment