Sunday, May 13, 2012

Just passing through


I am a recent college graduate… 8 days ago, to be exact.  During these past 4 years, I have been in a constant state of not really living in any one place.  Anyone else who has been through college or may currently be getting their college degree probably has a pretty good idea what I am talking about.  For those of us who choose a college farther than a city or two away from home, we don’t really live at home anymore.  But we also don’t really live in this oversized building filled with ridiculous numbers of other crazed 20-somethings called a dorm.  Over the weekends, we can end up anywhere: the beach, a friend’s house, Grandma’s, the occasional trip home for food and laundry, or maybe someone else’s dorm room.  You’re in a constant state of movement.

At some point during these 4 years, I mastered what it means to live in such a way that
 (hopefully) makes moving to wherever that next location may be a little easier.  For example, keeping things rarely used in their boxes is always a good idea.  In fact, this past year, I moved at least two boxes home that had never been opened during the course of the school year.  But it always made me feel better knowing I had those boxes of seeming “essentials,” just in case.  I also learned that moving clothes from one closet to another is best done by keeping the clothes on the hangers.  Quicker out, quicker in.  And for those of us who live far enough away that two trips to take things home is unacceptable, I have learned the utmost importance of using that trip home during Spring Break to your best advantage (bring home those boxes you never used for the past 8 months… you won’t use any of it during that last month, I promise). 



As tempting as it may be to bring more “essentials” back to your undersized dorm or apartment while being home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or other breaks long enough to make the trip home, you should be very selective.  That car that was a little over-packed on the way to your school back in August won’t suddenly have more room in May for that extra bookshelf, box of VHS tapes you swore you’d watch during finals week, or that tennis racket you promised to use on every sunny weekend. 

All this to say, I think I know the ropes of “living on the go” (and I have an awesome mother who does things like take carloads and U-haul loads back for me in May).  I haven’t really felt settled for these past 4 years.  Over the summers, I left boxes in the garage (or even worse, in my car!), stuffed closets full of clothes that should really be donated or at least re-evaluated before taking up precious space in my less than spacious closet, and contemplated the need to actually keep those ridiculously pricey textbooks about managerial accounting, the history of the Baptist church, and how to “figure out foreigners.”  I couldn’t help but feel like no matter where I ended up for the current segment of months, that place was not really my home. 

Do you ever feel like that here on Earth?  Like you’re not really at home yet?  Like you haven’t reached all you’re hoping to accomplish?  Like you can’t quite feel at ease with your current lot in life?  If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, rest assured you’re not alone.  In fact, you’re probably right where you should be.

“For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come” (Hebrews 13:14).  We really are just passing through.  This world is just a pit stop for us to be used by God for his glory while we are really on our way to where we are supposed to be.  That feeling of being under satisfied and uncomfortable is a natural part of life here on Earth. 

So for the time being, figure out what makes this “passing through” life a little easier… keep your hanging clothes on their hangers, pack your boxes wisely, and don’t stuff your car too full.  Let God have his way with your life and remember you’re just passing through a couple temporary cities.  

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, Jill. I love reading what you have to say. And I miss having you just around the corner at school. We are making plans for August just as soon as you are home! :)

    ReplyDelete