Sunday, July 25, 2010

Order up a sea bass

My sister just returned from a trip to Greece. (And no, I’m not jealous AT ALL.) As she was filling us in on the details of her adventures in the land of clear blue water and snow-white walls, she told a story about a special dinner they had at a more expensive venue. [Let me give a little background information here: my mom, my sister, and myself do not eat seafood.] However, Sherry was determined to eat at least one meal consisting of seafood while she was in Greece, famous for fresh fish. It was during this expensive dinner when Sherry decided it was the time to dive in and order fish. Using her best reasoning, she went for the day’s special of broiled sea bass because of course, the special of the day should be the freshest, least fishy tasting thing on the menu.

Upon the meal arriving at their table, Sherry found herself looking eye to eye with a sea bass. They did not bother to fillet it, take off the skin, or even cut off the head and tail. It was simply a fully intact sea bass with a few lemons covering the belly. As Sherry is telling me this story, I immediately assume she did not eat the fish. No lady in the Hammack household eats fish if at all possible, much less if it still has an eyeball. Sherry decided she was going to eat fish while she was in Greece, had ordered fish at this special restaurant, and was not about to fall short of her determination.

She peeled back the skin, covered the eye with a lemon, and ate the fish. Her description of the fishy entrée? “It was SO GOOD!”

I don’t think I could have done what Sherry did. First of all, I probably wouldn’t have wanted to order fish at any point during a trip to Greece, I wouldn’t have ordered it at the most expensive restaurant (because I know I would throw it all away), and if a waiter brought a full-on fish to my table I would have it removed immediately. Sherry would never have tasted the delicious sea bass if she wasn’t brave enough to try.

I love to ask God for a challenge; I want Him to use me for His will. I order up a sea bass, if you will. Deciding I will order a fishy entrée is difficult to start with, actually ordering it is even harder, and eating the disturbing and unappetizing fish that arrives on my table is nearly impossible.

Deciding to let God use me is difficult, prayerfully asking Him to use me is even harder, and taking on the challenge when He brings it to my doorstep is a pivotal moment. I have the choice to take it on, or pass it by.

Even though the challenge may appear more than your can handle, passing it by may leave you missing out on something “SO GOOD.”

“Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that you may do the will of God and receive what is promised” (Hebrews 10:35-36).

Sherry went to Greece with confidence that they would indeed have good fish, believed it enough to order the sea bass, and endured to eat it. And she received what was promised: the fish was good and fresh.

I have to approach life like Sherry approached sea bass.

“But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved” (Hebrews 10:39). No turning back.

2 comments:

  1. love you jill . . . keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever decide to try fish, try Halibut can't go wrong with Halibut! :) TRUST ME! I know what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete