Sunday, August 1, 2010

On your knees, with Crayola scissors in your hands.

We all love to “work the system.” We love when we find a loophole or some alternate route to go about getting what we want. Even at the ripe age of four, I learned to work the system. It all began with the strong desire to cut my doll’s hair.

I asked my mother if I could cut my doll’s hair, to which she answered “no.”

Disappointed, I went back and pondered a new tactic. I asked if I could cut my sister’s hair. Again, she answered “no.”

By this time I had learned two things: I was not allowed to cut my doll’s or my sister’s hair, and when I asked, the answer was “no.” This meant I needed to find something to cut that was not belonging to my doll or my sister and I should avoid asking to avoid receiving yet another “no.”

My loophole: the Persian rug. I took my green, plastic, Crayola scissors and proceeded to give the tassels on the Persian rug a trim. Surprisingly, the plastic, kid-safe scissors did a serious hack job on the rug. Not surprisingly, Mom knew exactly who the culprit of this crime was. In fact, I can vividly remember the night she came into my room, woke me up, and inquired about the new appearance of our Persian rug. I denied all charges.

God tells me “no.” There are some things in this life that I want that are not in God’s will for me. So I try another route, and He says “no” again. Then I find some sort of Persian rug loophole. I find a way of doing what I want, avoid directly asking God about it, and end up with a nighttime confrontation.

“Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure” (Philippians 2:12-13).

The truth is, even when we think God is not watching (like I thought my mom would never know I had cut the tassels), He is there and He knows. In order to “work out my salvation,” I have to live a life that aligns with God’s commandments and is in obedience to Him.

My mom was always proud when we acted in obedience to her; it showed her that we loved her enough to trust what she said was right and wrong. In the same way, we show God our love for Him when we obey him, “If you love me, you will obey what I command” (John 14:15).

So when temptation gets the best of you and you find yourself on your knees, with Crayola scissors in your hands, ready to trim the Persian rug… think twice. God already knows what you are doing. You cannot hide and will be forced to face the consequences.

We still have that Persian rug (the tassels are now taped underneath). It sits at the bottom of the stairs. I walk on it dozens of times every day. It is a constant reminder of my disobedience some 16 years ago. I am not proud of it (however it does make for a good laugh in the Hammack house), but it helped me learn I cannot hide from my mother. Is there something you disobeyed God on? Has it left a scar or a constant reminder for you? Rather than continually making mistakes, put your Persian rug at the bottom of your stairs to remind you each and every day. We all make mistakes, but we are expected to learn from them. Maybe that’s why my parents never got rid of that rug.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally picture you doing that! miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete