Monday, December 12, 2011

I'm just sayin.


I know it’s been said before… but it hasn’t been said my way.  So here we go: what the age of technology has done to our grammar, spelling, and literacy in general.

1.  Conventions have gone down the drain.  I am not sure why getting your pinky over to the “shift” or apostrophe key has become so difficult, but clearly it has.  Why do we drill our kids that we ALWAYS capitalize our “I’s” and place apostrophes in our contractions, but then fail to take our own advice?  maybe im the only one who thinks this, but its seeming ridiculous now.  lets all try to use the keys weve been given.  the ones weve been given for a reason. k?

2.  Spelling has apparently been washed down the drain with conventions.  The most ridiculous part of this one is that the misspellings or shortened words don’t really make typing any faster.  Why are we leaving out vowels?  Just use your thumb, index finger, or whatever finger you use for texting/typing and push that “a”!  but i guess if ths is bttr 4 qck txting, then whtvr.  i guess it does make me feel coolr than the way i uslly typ and txt.  but lets try a lttle hrdr to get those vwls in there. k thx.

3.   Have you noticed those stupid abbreviations?  Or even worse, have you used  them? “Totes presh?!”  Bleh.  People don’t even just reserve these stupid abbreviations for texting and typing, but they actually say them.  in my humb opin, its totes unnecess to abbrev everyth we say.  but peeps probs do it cuz it makes things sup awk when someone doesn’t know what ur sayin.  but whateves. 

4.  Is it just me, or do those superfluous “y’s” drive anyone else crazy?  Does “happyy birthdayy” somehow make my birthday happier?  Does “heyy” grab my attention better than the old-fashioned “hey?”  Is “Fridayy” more Friday-ish than “Friday?” Not really.  Let’s stop holding down the “y” key so long.  One “y” is good.  Okayy?


So if you write something on my Facebook wall like “heyy! whatcha up 2 fridayy?  im hopin we can get 2gether. maybs ice cream, a movie, or whateves.  txt me!” … you’re probably driving me crazy. 

On the other hand, if you use “there,” “their,” and “they’re” correctly, you’re probably on my favorites list. 

I’m just sayin.  

[Oh, and if you're wondering what my biblical tie in for this blog is... ask yourself this question: Do you see any of these literary crimes being committed in the Bible?  No.]

No comments:

Post a Comment