Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Frustrated by that extra slice of cheese


What happens to us as we walk into the doors of Subway?  How is it that we suddenly feel the right to snap at the workers about our choice of bread, meat, cheese, sauces, and vegetables?  Is it really necessary to be angry when the worker doesn’t catch everything on our long list of vegetable preferences the first time around?  Was it really that difficult to repeat “I’ll take some onions?"  Must we insist the worker puts on more bell peppers on top of our already overflowing sandwich?  Is there a nicer way to ask for less cheese than by saying, “only two slices; my waist can’t handle that third piece.” 

The other day I walked into Subway and had an experience quite like the one described above.  The lady in front of me acted like she owned the place.  Clearly, she was ordering a sandwich she had ordered many times before.  She was easily frustrated by that extra slice of cheese.  She wasn’t all too satisfied with the slightly excessive sweet onion sauce on her bread.  She insisted on extra spinach saying, “as much as you can get on there.”  I never heard her say “please” or “thank you” once. 

When the man got to my order, I felt awkward.  How do I follow this up?  Should I say “please” for every item I ask for and then “thank you” as he places each slice of meat, cheese, and vegetable on my sandwich?  (I decided that was a bit extreme)  Is there some way I can remedy this rudeness of the customer in front of me?  I feel bad for what happened.  I am a customer, just like this controlling lady in front of me was.  In some way, I felt responsible for her actions.

There are a lot of non-Christians who encounter Christians who leave a bad taste in their mouths.  These Christians are like the customers who go through Subway with some idea that they are “above” the workers (non-Christians), have the right to point out every flaw, and make “strong suggestions” as to how they can better their performance.  As I encounter non-Christians I tend to panic.  Thoughts stream through my mind: What experiences have they had with other Christians?  Have they been treated poorly by a church or Christian?  What should I do to let them know I am not going to judge them?  Should I be overly nice?  Should I do something to let them know I’m a “good guy?” 

The bottom line is this: be yourself. 

The more anxious I became about how I was going to order my sandwich after little-miss-know-it-all, the more awkward and burdened my conversation with this poor worker became.  In the same way, as I get myself worked up about encounters with non-Christians, my interactions become fake and impersonal.  If I can just be myself and show them love, they will be thankful.

Romans 12:9 says, “Let love be genuine.”  So let’s be genuine in who we are.  Accept people for who they are, leave judgment to God, and forget about the rude customer who passed before you.  Chances are, if you are real with them and leave them with love and joy, they will remember you more than those who have not.

No comments:

Post a Comment